Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Spring and Sprouting

The weather is getting more tolerable outside.
So naturally the first requests for outside activities are:
-running in the sprinkler
-having a picnic
-making a tree house
I was able to fulfill one of the requests at least.

 I realized that I had to then not only wash the kids clothes after playing outside,
but also my youngests' jacket...she is such a messy eater.

As I started picking up the yard, I noticed my rhubarb.
I didn't get to harvest any in hopes this years will be more plentiful.
It took a lot of will power when it was full last year.
The rhubarb was a gift from my sister-in-law for my birthday last year.

Last year I saved different varieties of my heirloom tomato plants.
This is the first attempt at starting seeds indoors.
I read so many books on propagation that I lost track.
There are so many different options to decide upon when starting seeds...
there are so many variables to consider.
I also heard many "horror" stories from people starting tomato seeds that I was a little apprehensive.

I noticed that some of my seeds are starting to sprout!
I still have a long way to go before transplanting,
but I didn't think I would get this far.
My heirloom varieties that I'm starting from seed are:
-Black Prince(first to sprout)
-Brandywine
-Mortgage Lifter
-Box Car Willie
-Green Zebra
-Cherokee Purple
My two favorites are Cherokee Purple (beautiful color and taste) and Mortgage Lifter(meaty tomato and great taste)

No comments:

Post a Comment