Friday, August 26, 2011

Keep Digging

Well, here is our potato patch.
Don't mind the weeds, I don't after the plants die.

I'm so happy to be blessed with a big strong man to help dig.
I dug for about 15 minutes and it was painful to watch...the ground was HARD!

There was so much excitement.
We classify digging potatoes up there with presents on Christmas morning,
you never know what you're going to get
and there is always so much excitement.

We dug up our Purple Viking potatoes first.
The Purple Viking yielded fewer, but larger potatoes than that of the yellow finn.

Here's my oldest with two Purple Vikings...
he informed me I had to be quick with the picture
so his sisters didn't take all the rest of his potatoes:)

Here's my little princess with her potatoes,
always happy to stop for a picture.

And last, but not least, my big girl.
At two, still not quite grasping the 'hold still' command to snap a quick picture. 

As you can see, we've moved on to the the next row...yellow finns.
I picked these two varieties from Seed Savers this year because of the storing qualities.

I couldn't help but put this one in,
every look of  my big girl digging potatoes was a mix of
wonder, confusion, and excitement.

She also thought it would be a splendid idea to give the potatoes a little try.
Then handed it over to mom to cook:) 

Here's our 2011 potato loot. 
We couldn't be happier. 
The potatoes that did get sliced or nicked with the potato fork,
 were cooked up the next day and tasted as good as they look.

Thank you God for a wonderful harvest!

No comments:

Post a Comment