Sunday, March 24, 2013

5 Random Things

My friend Diane, tagged me in this game that I thought was pretty great.  It's always fun to find out little things about the people we care about.  Here are my five:
 
1. Almost all of my favorite movies and songs came from the 1980's.  I still love them all today! My  kids know words to Cyndi Lauper songs and request them. 
 
2. When I was college(for law enforcement), I was awarded the top gun award for a my firearms course. Just this year, my mom and dad took a firearms course for a permit and had the same instructor(but didn't know it).  Of course, my mom was a mom, and asked him if he remembered her daughter who won the top gun award only around 10 years ago:)
 
3. I love old people.  I dream of growing old with my wonderful husband and having a 70th wedding anniversary together(we would be 90).  When my kids are grown and I need something to keep me busy, I'm pretty sure it will involve care taking the elderly/disabled.  It breaks my heart thinking of how many people are 'forgotten' about by family and friends when someone gets sick/old.  My volunteer hours that I completed when I was in high school, was at the brown county mental health center in Green Bay and my favorite task was taking the residents to bingo once a month.  My favorite little old lady's name was Lorianne(she had Alzheimer's) and she would collect stuffed animals for her grand kids that she won.  When bringing her back to her room, I saw a large black garbage bag under her bed filled with these stuffed animals. I asked the nurse when the last time they had visited was and the response was over two years ago...I continued to visit until she passed away, meanwhile she was still collecting the stuffed animals for her grandchildren. 
 
4. My kids love hearing my childhood adventures that when I look back myself, am amazed of all the things that happened...getting chased by a grizzly bear in Canada, going lobstering and deep sea fishing in Florida, snorkeling and getting followed by barracuda until we got back in the boat, and   jumping in the water right above a shark and getting luckily when we didn't get attacked. 
 
5. Looking forward to the day, Zach and I go to Italy and explore.  I'm thinking for our 25th year anniversary(that's only 15 years away).  Of course there will be historical stops, but I most look forward to going to the country, maybe even staying at a farm house and visiting farmers and locals.
And getting immersed into the culture.  My only fear is that I won't want to come back.
 
And I nominate these blogs to do the same: Two Little Hooligans and Small Things
 

No comments:

Post a Comment