Friday, May 10, 2013

A Garden of love and friends...

The best thing about my flower gardens
is when I look over them and be reminded of all  
people who gave me the plants and flowers.
It makes me so happy to think some of the plants traveled
from Tampa, Irma, French Island,
Washington Island, and Sparta.
I'm usually not a annual flowers type of person.
I tend to get the no fuss perennials
to keep down extra work that could be given to my vegetables.
But how can you resist two pairs of eyes looking up at you,
"Please mom, can we plant some pretty flowers?"
"Of course" was the answer.

But I think the girls were right.
And there is a smile every time we look at them.

Because I'm frugal,
I decided to pot my own hanging basket.
It turned out great and I only spent $5 on the flowers.
 
The kids were loving the pollinating that they got to see up close.

Here is a picture of the some of my flowers that are up...
daffodils (from Irma) and tulips.

My wonderful sister-in-law brought me a present yesterday. 
Becky brought me four rhubarb plants! 
The special part of this for me is she was the first one to 
get me started planting rhubarb...she bought me 2 rhubarb roots for my birthday
a couple of years ago. 
 Besides two more plants that I got at a farmers market, 
this whole rhubarb patch is from her:)

Just above the rhubarb is some asparagus that I just started this year.
And above that is my strawberry patch,
which I am hoping gets filled in with the new strawberry roots I just planted.
We will see if they grow,
I've planted strawberry roots before, but to no avail.
Strawberry roots are touchy when it comes to the
exact right height the crown needs to be in reference to soil level. 
Plus, it's on a hill so level is kind of tricky anyway:)
 
Here are my chicks and hens that I am excited came back this year.
My goal over my lifetime is to fill in all the spaces of my retaining wall
with chicks and hens.  Thanks to Becky's Aunt Sharon,
I think this goal my be a reality before die:)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment