Thursday, May 16, 2013

They're here...

 
While my Big Girl and I were playing outside the other day,
a long awaited package got delivered...
my tomato and pepper plants from Seed Savers!
 
This year I am planting some new varieties
 in addition to the tried and true.
 
After gathering my essentials,
my garden layout, seeds and plants,
helping hands, and my Vegetable gardener's bible,
I was ready.

We mixed up our compost and bone meal and
went to work on the plants.
I'm hoping my layout this year is more conducive to raised bed planting...
I'm looking for bigger/better yields than last year.

My onions had already been planted two weeks ago,
but I saved space for my tomatoes.
 
Here is my little orchard starting to blossom,
which is wonderful because last year the frost got to them
and they didn't yield any fruit.
I was a little worried, but this year they look great.

Last year we got multiple dwarf cherry trees
and they seem to be doing wonderfully this year. 

See the difference in blossoms with this tree.
Well, two of our cherry trees I got a steal on last year,
turned out not being dwarf trees....oops:) 
 They blossom differently as well- more in clumps rather than spread out.
The kiddos and I planted some sunflowers this year
by my garden shed and compost pile.
My eldest was very anxious to lend a hand tilling and planting
along with my Big Girl planting.
 
My little princess had planted the sunflowers she started at school.
She's hoping hers will be the tallest because they have a head start.
Only time will tell...
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment